Thursday, October 27, 2011

First Time Visit to New York City! Lots of Love!

So this is my first time going to New York. It is a very beautiful and busy city that is full of life :) Now I can see why people are telling me that I am missing out and need to go see the city for myself. So I decided to go and see New York with my sister (who has been there at least 3 times for work and leisure). Having been let go of my job (again...), I find the time and taking advantage of travelling. This travel is a change from my previous adventures out in nature. At first, I was thinking going why go to a city as a travel destination? It did not appeal to me much since I myself live in Toronto. But, New York is a totally new space to me. It is a city full of bustling streets, a lot of lights, lots of noises, sights and of course shopping!



Here is my experience travelling to New York City with my sister :)

Day 1- Arrival in New York at 11am
Arrival to New York City by Megabus (Yes I took it, the painful 12 hours on the bus! My tolerance will not be better later in life). Can't go wrong with it being $50 for one way.
Subway to "W hotel" on Lexington and got a room. rm.#1511.
We were suppose to check in at a later time 3pm but the nice lady at the reception gave us a room early to rest and settle in for a bit. What a nice lady!! I guess it was because we told her we were on a 12 hour bus ride and it was crrraazzyy.
- We walked to the Rockefeller Center and just took in the scenery. I can't help but look up into the high sky scrapers.
- Tried Magnolia Bakery which was made popular by the "Sex in the City" show. I had the Lemon cupcake and my sister had the Red Velvet. Both were heavenly!
- We went to the Nintendo Store
- Walked around Times Square. This place is amazing! Soo many people, bright lights, cars, everything.
- After that we tired ourselves out to a Japanese bookstore that had a cute mini Jap Cafe. The bookstore is called Kunikunya Book Store. This place is a huge store filled with books, magazines, gifts from Japan. I am in love <3. We went upstairs to get a break and bought ourselves a sandwich and tea. (Jasmine greentea and a delish sandwich).

- We walked to Madison Square Park
- Explored Washington Square Park- this park is like a painting.(so many people enjoying the park and the sunny weather)
- After that we subwayed to Soho.

Soho is a richest part of New York. Some rooms as small as 300 sq ft would cost thousands to rent. It is ridiculously expensive to even live here in this part of the city. There are cobblestone streets and nice boutiques everywhere.This is where I checked out...
- The Kid Robot Store- It is very cool...but it is like the Magic Pony store we have in Toronto. This place is filled with Vinly toys,books and clothing.
- I also walked into a discount store to buy a pair of $25 dark brown combat boots that I am in love with at the moment.
- After we went to NY Chinatown and had some Dim Sum and bought some bakery at a local asian shop. This Chinatown is much more bigger and busier. There are a lot of restaurants and shops.
- Went to NY Little Italy to check out the popular Ferrara Desserts where we bought a truffle cake and a mini chocolate mousse cake. Desserts here are realllyyy yummmy!
- Head back to our Hotel to rest up for the night

Day 2
- Purchase bus tour Grayline to explore the city from a tourist perspective :P
- Arrive to MOMA. Saw a lot of famous paintings and was very excited to finally see my favorite painting "Starry Night" and "Waterlilies." Famous paintings are always better to see in person. It was truly inspiring and beautiful.


- Had Pizza for lunch (I got the basil tomato pizza and sister got the veggie pizza) at Sbarro.
- Checked out Central Park
- Dinner at a popular japanese restaurant Izakaya. The little bites of food are so tasty and it is probably better than the Guu here in Toronto. I just crave this kind of food anytime of day. We had the Miso Grilled Eggplant, Root chips with dip, Skewers, Deep Fried tuna Onigiri with radish with a glass of  Fuji Apple Sake on the rocks ;). Sooo gooood.

- Grand Central Station at night
- Times Square at night
- Shop at Forever 21. This store is freakin hugeee.
- Very late dinner at "The Counter" (had the counter burger and it was delicious)
Head back to hotel

Day 3
Had Breakfast
-Grand Central Station during busy day
-Empire State Building (Top of the building where the views of the city is absolutely amazing)

- World Trade Center and Freedom Tower
- Wall St.
- Occupy Wall St. Protesters
- American Museum of Natural History
- Bus tour to Harlem
- Dinner at Italian Restaurant (Proscuitto Pizza, Eggplant Cannoli and sparking water)
- Ferrara Desserts (shared truffle cake with Cafe Latte)
- Checked out the Uniqlo Store with some shopping, this is the Grand Opening of their first Flagship store in New York. Uniqlo is Japanese based. The materials are soft and they are affordable.
Back to hotel

Day 4
Checked out of our hotel and left our bags for pick-up later in the evening
Breakfast- Turkey Panini at Rockefeller (So tasty)
- Rockefeller Center
- Shopping at the Big Lego Store
- Magnolia Bakery (i had the Orange Cupcake with chocolate milk, sister had the Pumpkin Pecan)


- Back to Japanese Bookstore for their tea and sandwich

- Muji Store at New York Times building. This place is very nice. I consider it an expensive Ikea from Japan.

- Uniqlo Store once more!
- went back to W hotel lounge to rest and pick up our bags. Taxi to our Megabus stop
- Dinner at Astro Sushi and Bar. This is the best tasting sushi I ever had. I wished I tried the ones in California but I was sick then -_-.


Leave to Toronto.

There is so little time to do everything. But I had a great taste of what New York is like. There are lots of places to see and things to try out. Definitely a place to go to again. :)







No comments: